Monday, September 18, 2006
My love for 'Bodas' threatened
The Monday morning was so good after waking up early as 5:30am to prepare to move to the studio [107 Campus FM].

The intention was to avoid putting on unironed shirt and trousers. The fact is that black-outs in Kampala have been so rampant and unscheduled. So getting early at the Studio would give me ample time to edit 2 videos that my friend had given me some 2 months back.

10 Minute to 7am, I said bye to my cousin as I slamed my room's door. Out I am on one of the dusty roads of Kampala. One funny thing is that though it rains in Kampala heavily, the following day will be dusty road just as before it rained because of too much traffic.

A few metres to the bodaboda, I pass a man urinating beside the road but I had to mind my business. When I reached near the Mororbike, the man I had passed urinating came shouting "Ogenda Ssebo?"(Are you going Mister?).

"Yee Ssebo", (Yes, Sir) as I swang my leg across the seater to sit, a by-stander near the Boda asked the old man bobaboda cyclist if he has the change. But he shook his head vigourously as a sign saying yes.

He rode the bike through the 'kikumi kumi', Nsibirwa, Swimming pool road and lastly the Senate Building. So, I came off the Boda and flashed Ush.1000 note. The short grey-haired cyclist pointed his sharp eyes to men and said "Sirina chengi, sirina chengi!!"

I held my breath and moved to Mitchell Hall slowly to get some change of two five hundreds.Thank God that I got the change and came and gave the cyclist.

My trouble is that some of the Bodaboda cyclists are not sensible enough. Yes, they are looking for money for survival but why be hush to passengers. I mean, we pay for the services.

By the way am reconsidering if I should continue using the Bodabodas.
 
posted by ombui at 11:38 PM | Permalink |


3 Comments:


  • At 2:11 AM, Anonymous Anonymous

    Hello! My name is Josh. I just started writing the Uganda Roundup for Global Voices Online (GVO). The idea behind GVO is to get the word out about stories from parts of the world that don't traditionally get alot of space in mainstream media. GVO is written by bloggers from around the world; it's a pretty spectacular award winning site. It also happens to be one of the top 150 blogs in the world in terms of number of hits, so if your work gets posted there, alot of people are going to read what you have to say.

    GVO has never had a Uganda roundup until now, so its a cool oppurtunity to give more exposure for the growing, but still small, Ugandan blogosphere. I like covering posts that shed light on life in Uganda. I try to find a balance in my GVO posts amongst book reviews, quirky stories about your morning matatu ride, and news analysis and opinion. I'd personally like to see more news related posts, but I think this will develop in time. The rule is: Do ur thang. The only criterium I have are (i) snappy writing and (ii) content that the global public might find interesting.

    Also, I think a Happy Hour is in order, and I think Ernest Bazanye should give some remarks because he is endlessly full of mirth hilarious self deprecation. I'll be out of the country for a few weeks, but stay tuned for a Ugandan Blogosphere Happy Hour in late November.

    Finally, check out this list of Ugandan blogs that I think reach the above criteria. Make a comment if I've missed any.

    http://inanafricanminute.blogspot.com/2006/10/global-voices-uganda.html

    Shoot me your email if you want me to send you updates: goldstein.joshu@gmail.com

    Peace.Josh

     
  • At 7:12 AM, Blogger Dennis D. Muhumuza

    oh poor,ja! u can't just disown boda-bodas like that. they just define the economy. & be a big guy, don't get threatened or those bugirls at...might think u r a coward. hahaha!!!!!!!!

     
  • At 2:32 AM, Blogger Klara

    oh! A man urinating by da roadside?Bad Manners!!Bodaboda's still scare me..Thank God, These sides they aint heard...