Tuesday, June 12, 2007
A “young” journalist in the field
The Uganda society was privileged to host a distinguished guest from the commonwealth H.E. Hon Donald McKinnon early today.

In a sunny afternoon, the eleventh day of June 2007, media persons too had to endeavour to grip a scoop; at least something for the editor or file something. The venue was at the Uganda Museum in Kitante, Kampala.

From town, my team arrived with what they know best to use. Edy Mondo had his digital still-photo Camera while Dynoh held tight his not book and a ball pen. Renee shouldered the video camera bag and a stand and as I resigned from my co-driving job that was very temporal.

So, we dashed out of the special hire car as if we were one of the intelligence agents chasing a criminal that is almost detonating a bomb. Past the door the other three positioned themselves well not a word to pass them. For me, I had to look for a paramount spot for video coverage. Hurriedly, I moved to put my stand a metre away from the one that was highly jerked just above my shoulder. Even before I placed my stand that I had jerked a height slightly above my waist, some one poked me toughly on my back and he said,

“don’t you see this stand behind belongs to Simon Kasyate of NTV? You are going to block him. Move away”

“Ohhh” I answered reluctantly.

In a twinkle of an eye, Kasyate move closer to his stand from no where and panned his head and hand asking me to move. My intention was to kneel; to provide ample space to capture good shots of the subject. I lifted the lowly jerked stand and moved to the right wing of the room.

Yes, I was a “young” journalist, unknown journalist. Thank God where I went was the best because H.E McKinnon moved from his seat to the pedestal that was only four metres away my stand. It was the best position and I got twenty five minutes of professional shots.We left immediately only to catch up with an issue unfolding in town that was Newsworthy.

May be to ask, how long or what does it take for a “young” journalist to be known not to be bullied? What happened to the co-relation of journalists in the field and out of field?
 
posted by ombui at 12:47 AM | Permalink |


2 Comments:


  • At 8:40 AM, Blogger Dennis D. Muhumuza

    ah! i see the young journalist is 'enjoyin' the ride! well, ja, i guess u gotta get used 2 the perks of the game, learn 2 build rapport with colleages & introduce yourself around. u know when the going gets tough as oft happens when scribes are in the field, they bail each other out. good luck, my lad!!!

     
  • At 11:10 AM, Blogger Tandra

    firstie!! YAY! to answer ur qn, u wont be bullied when u get someone else to bully around..simple really,lol.

    I dont know really but working together can be a joke especially when u want to get a piece and u dont work for a "Recognised" media house.